Sunday, January 2, 2011

2011.

I was buying some flowers when I saw this little girl sitting on the sand. She was no more than 3 years old. Her mother was inside, mixing the cement for construction work. The little girl was sitting on a huge pile of sand next to a dog. The girl had the dog’s face in her hand and she was talking to it. Although the words were quite incomprehensible, the dog had its eyes focused on the girl as though listening to her in rapt attention. Quite a double irony actually! The little girl then took some sand from the pile and started putting it on the dog’s face. The dog closed its eyes slowly and I swear I saw a trace of smile on its face! It stayed there silently while the girl put the sand on its face like a face pack. Then the girl’s mother called out to her. She quickly got up and left. The dog stayed there for 2 seconds, opened its eyes and shook itself all over. All the sand fell off and it trotted behind the girl faithfully.


A big flashy car suddenly stopped at the crossroad. I screeched to halt behind it. I’m not the kind of person who honks at cars or cows. I just cursed under my breath and took a dangerous swerve to avoid a collision. An old man was standing there, outside his house, observing my reactions. As I sped off, his eyes met mine, and he raised his hand and mouthed “Calm down, Calm down”. I instantly slowed down with a smile on my face and rode away.

My aunt had a Prepaid Mobile connection whose call rates were 1Re/min. She talks a lot on the phone. Her mobile Bills, needless to say, were quite high. Her husband was not very happy with this. When I went to visit her, she complained to me about this. I told her that she could switch the Call rates Plan to something cheaper. Being a little ignorant to the tech-world, she asked me if that would change her number. I told her that the number would remain the same, only the call rates would go down. She confirmed this with me 6 times, by asking the same question in 6 different ways. “Will the phone number change? Will my friends need to call on another new number? Will I have to give all my friends another number? … ” After about 20 minutes of Q&A, we walked down to the Mobile shop and got the plan changed. The first thing she did after we got home was make a nice big hot cup of tea for me. Then she sat next to me and peeled an orange. She said, “Thank you. I can now talk longer with my friends and my husband needn't worry”. Her husband grimaced behind her but she smiled and started peeling another orange for me.


Small instances like these make you feel so positive and happy. It needn’t always be alcohol.
After one dormant blog year, it’s a post.
Happy new year.

6 comments:

Varsee said...

Wow im re-visiting ur blog after a long-long time..but everything is still jotted down in the same "putti-ishtyle" :) reminded me of the movie Amelie..dunno why!

Have a gr8 year ahead putti

Shruthi Mahesh said...

Happy 2011 putti!!

Tej said...

Now thats a decent blog post :) After a very long time indeed..
Nice summary.. Happy 2011. .2010 was indeed a good year :)

Koushik said...

super :) :)

btw wats the call rate she got now?? :P mine is still 40 paise per call !!! if there any plan less than that and free msgs let me know ;)


Happy new year Nischi :) :)
have a wonderful year ahead :)

Nishchita said...

@Varsee, Shruthi - Hope you had a good 2010!

@Tej - Thanks!

@Koushik - Thanks, Call rates now are 1p per second. No change to the messages : not that she messages anyway!

Sameer Kulkarni said...

Good one. Reminds me of unphotographable...

http://www.unphotographable.com/

Blog Archive